Emily K Center Announces Inaugural Duke University Service Award Recipients
The Emily Krzyzewski Center is pleased to announce the winners of its inaugural Duke University Service Awards. These awards were established to recognize individuals who have performed significant volunteer service for the Center. The award name recognizes the longstanding relationship and support that exists between Duke University and the Emily K Center. Volunteers are nominated by Center staff members and supporters. Winners of the 2021 awards are:
- Michelle Beischer | Michelle is a long-standing supporter and volunteer for the Emily K Center. Currently serving on the Board of Directors, Michelle also serves as the Center’s Advancement Committee Chair and previously served as Chair of the Mother’s Day Ball. Michelle’s nominator shared, “Michelle is a committed volunteer whose impact on the Center is significant and far-reaching. She is always quick to pitch in and provide ideas to help further the work of the Center.”
- Kofi Thompson | Kofi is a long-time volunteer with the Center’s Pioneer Scholars program. He can frequently be found helping elementary and middle school students with math or writing during the week, and during spring break, you can find him teaching students how to play Ultimate Frisbee. A Pioneer Scholars Lead Tutor states, “Kofi is an excellent role model. The students always look forward to seeing him.”
- Kirk Wagenseller | Kirk is the longest standing volunteer at the Center with 17 years of service. Simply stated, there is no Emily K Center without Kirk. He began his volunteerism as a bookkeeper and accountant, and to this day, continues to serve as an accounting volunteer and member of our Finance Committee. Kirk’s nominator shared, “Whether it’s making a bank deposit on a Friday or providing historical context for a complicated strategic decision, Kirk is always ready to help.”
- Eliza Ferguson | Eliza serves as a volunteer tutor for Scholars to College students and has helped students with courses in history, English, and French. Eliza is a dedicated tutor and has helped students remain committed to their studies through the challenges of COVID-19. A tutoring monitor recalled a recent session with Eliza, “Eliza arrived ten minutes early for a 9:00 a.m. session. She not only started the student’s morning off great but mine as well. Eliza has a way of keeping people engaged, and she sincerely cares about her students.”
- Tradeweb – Nicole Geraci, Adam Gould, and Samantha Longlade | Tradeweb has quickly become an invaluable partner for the Emily K Center and the Scholars on Campus program. With the core leadership of Tradeweb employees Nicole Geraci, Adam Gould, and Samantha Longlade, Tradeweb facilitated a virtual series for Scholars on Campus students focused on resume building, internships, and FinTech exploration. They also recruited a group of coworkers to volunteer their time to host mock interviews and connected with students individually to review resumes and offer advice on interview preparation. Tradeweb’s nominator shared, “Tradeweb, and especially Sam, Nicole, and Adam, is always willing to go the extra mile for students at the Emily K Center. They have provided significant support and expertise for students and their career journeys.”
Award winners were recognized during a special presentation with the Emily K Center Board of Directors on October 26, 2021.